Things to bring to the FAD@OLF
- Laptop – Because you can’t work if you can’t type and you can’t type unless you have some sort of portable computing device. If you insist on bringing the desktop, though, we won’t laugh.
- Ethernet Cable – Yep, good old fashioned Cat 5 (or the groovy new fashioned Cat 6) cable would be a great thing to bring. Why? Because we will have a wired connection (and hopefully a switch hint to Jared) in the FAD room at OLF. We can never be sure of the airwaves but we hope the copper will be kind to us.
- Power Strip – Want to make friends? Bring a power strip with a long electrical cable attached. There are never enough outlets at the talks and perhaps that pretty girl or cute guy is in need of a few electrons. Be an implementer!
- Bits – Sure, you can sync all the repositories when you get to OLF but how long is that going to take? Those that control the Intertubes are probably not aware of the onslaught that is about to occur by dropping hundreds of bit-needy geeks into a single location in Columbus. Had they known what was coming we would be seeing large amounts of fiber being stretched across the country to be terminated at OLF. Grabbing a git diff probably won’t be difficult but do everyone a favor and bring your bits with you.
- Clothes – Okay, now that you have your bags packed with every type of cable to connect every kind of device to your computer and to the wall you’ll need some sort of body covering. Not saying anything bad about you but there’s a time and place for everything and some people don’t need the distraction during the classes. It’s okay, though. T-shirts roll up nicely and can be stuffed in among the wires and parts. A change of underwear may also be warranted but I’m leaving that up to you.
Sparks’ Fedora Project Journal by Eric H Christensen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.